If you have checked and you are not covered by anybody else’s general liability policy, then it is a good idea to get your own for peace of mind.
Always give ample of consideration to safe practice if you choose to go without! You may also want to review your existing insurance policies and/or ask your insurance broker for advice. You may not need a new plan.
For insurance purposes Laughter Wellness Teachers are akin to fitness or yoga professionals.
Who qualifies for insurance?
Here what our own insurance www.sportsfitness.com says about this:
“We offer a general liability policy that includes coverage for Professional Liability and Sexual Abuse and Molestation, so the coverage is much broader than a simple general liability policy. This is a specialized policy developed for yoga and fitness professionals.
Our insurance program is not for specific yoga certifications, but for yoga teachers in general. We may ask for certifications on our applications, but that is simply a tool for us to track where the business is coming from. In the event of a claim, I cannot envision a scenario where we would deny a claim based on certification, or lack thereof. Our policy has NO exclusionary language related to certifications.”
You may want to check the exact requirements of your chosen insurance. Call them. In case there is ever a claim the last thing you want is to find out that your insurance is invalid.
Where can you get insured?
The cost of public liability insurance in the USA varies between $125 and $300 per year.
Here are options you may want to investigate that we know of, from cheaper to more expensive (the more you pay, the more you get).
- Being a member of CanFitPro (a fitness organization) makes you eligible for liability insurance (very affordable), which you can then get through www.sthunt.com
- http://www.rowlandhouse.com ($183 insured with CGU)
- http://www.oamps.com.au/ ($89 + having to be a member of http://www.ahhca.org/ for $140 = $230)
- http://www.icfrith.com.au/ ($195)
- It is worth asking your local neighborhood centers if you can be covered under their insurance. They may or may not decide to charge you.
let us know if you know more providers, in these or other countries!