This article regroups various resources I have on how to create and use affirmations. I have been using those for years myself but without really ever putting much thoughts into what I was doing and how I was doing it. Then one day I read an article titled “How to Turn Limp Affirmations Into Mantras for Success” by Jack Canfield which I found very enlightening. Here is the gist of it:
1) Enter the “now”
Start your affirmation by entering the present tense. Take the condition you desire and declare it to be already true.
2) Be positive
Shine a light on what you do want, not what you don’t want. Our subconscious mind skips the word not, so delete this word from your affirmations. “I am not afraid of public speaking” gives us the message that you are afraid. Instead use, “I feel at ease as I speak in public.”
3) Be concise
Shorter is better. Affirmations with fewer words are often easier to recall, especially in situations when you feel some stress. Rhyming makes your affirmations even more memorable. For example, “I am feeling alive at 185.”
4) Include action
Whenever possible, affirm yourself as a person who takes action. For example: “I am gratefully driving my new Porsche along an open highway.” Action engages the Law of Attraction, creating new results in our lives and opening us to further inspiration.
5.) Include a feeling word
Powerful affirmations include content and emotion. Content describes the specific outcome that you desire. Emotion gets to the heart of how you feel about that outcome. For a more potent affirmation, add both elements.
…and then I read ‘Self Talk’: When Talking to Yourself, the Way You Do It Makes a Difference in which experts in sports psychology say self-talk should be supportive, not negative; say ‘you’ instead of ‘I’, so with that I added:
6.) Positive self-talk is more effective if we address ourselves by our first name.
Armed with all this knowledge I then looked at a list of affirmations that a friend send me (see below), and started to update each statement doing my best to include all of the elements described above. This is a work in progress. I hope it is useful to you too.
- [Name] Financial success is a game that is easy for you to play everyday and in every way.
- [Name] It is enjoyable for you to be wealthy. You love contributing to the Universal flow of abundance.
- [Name] It is your true will to be and feel prosperous and successful, and the Universe hears it.
- [Name] Money easily and abundantly comes to you in expected and unexpected ways.
- [Name] Prosperity, wealth and abundance flow to you easily and effortlessly.
- [Name] You are a magnet for money. Prosperity is drawn to you as easily as bees are attracted to honey.
- [Name] You align yourself everyday more and more with the energy of unlimited abundance.
- [Name] You are at peace with having a lot of money. Money is your friend and you are grateful for it.
- [Name] You are open and receptive to all the wealth life offers you.
- [Name] You are the wise master of your wealth.
- [Name] You are worthy of making more money. You deserve it!
- [Name] You can handle massive success with grace.
- [Name] You constantly attract exciting opportunities that create more money.
- [Name] You have eliminated all fears of failure from your mind and feel good about that. Fear is afraid of you!
- [Name] You know how to handle large sums of money well and with ease and you are very good at it!
- [Name] You mind constantly fills itself with abundance thinking.
- [Name] You see and feel your goals more clearly every day until they finally become reality.
- [Name] You set goals for yourself and joyfully move towards them.
- [Name] You wisely use money to better your life and the lives of others.
- [Name] Your actions create constant prosperity.
- [Name] Your business associates and partners feel your positive, success-expecting attitude. It inspires them and fills them with confidence, energy and trust.
- [Name] Your finances improve beyond your dreams and you are grateful for so much Divine love showering on you.
- [Name] Your life is filled with love, joy, prosperity and abundance.
- [Name] Your personal connection to the Universe is enough for you to create all the wealth you want.
- [Name] Your positive attitude is a magnet that attracts financial success to you.
- [Name] Every day in every way, you are becoming more and more successful.
- [Name] You always attract only the best of circumstances and the best positive people in your life.
- [Name] You are energetic and enthusiastic. Confidence is your second nature.
- [Name] You are self-reliant, creative and persistent in whatever you do.
- [Name] You easily find solutions to challenges and roadblocks and move past them quickly.
- [Name] Success is your natural state.
- [Name] You are powerful and most capable!
- [Name] Can you imagine how it will feel to be successful and complete?
- [Name] You shine!
- [Name] You live in the present and are confident of the future.
- [Name] You love meeting strangers and approach them with boldness and enthusiasm.
- [Name] You see fear as the fuel for your success and take bold action in spite of fear.
- [Name] Mistakes and setbacks are stepping stones to your success because you learn from them.
- [Name] You personality exudes confidence. You are bold and outgoing.
- [Name] Today you are successful. Tomorrow you will be successful. Every day you are successful.
- All is well right now.
- I accept and embrace all experiences, even unpleasant ones.
- I am focus and engaged in the task at hand.
- I am fully present in all of my relationships.
- I am grateful for this moment and find joy in it.
- I am grounded in the experience of the present moment.
- I gently and easily return to the present moment.
- I meditate easily without resistance or anxiety.
- I observe my emotions without getting attached to them.
- I observe my thoughts and actions without judging them.
- I release the past and live fully in the present moment.
- Life is happening in this moment.
- All is well in my world. I am calm, happy, and content.
- All negativity and stress are evaporating from my body and my mind.
- All the muscles in my body are releasing and relaxing.
- Being calm and relaxed energizes my whole being.
- Calmness washes over me with every deep breath I take.
- Even when there is chaos around me, I remain calm and centered.
- Every day I am more and more at ease.
- I am free of anxiety, and a calm inner peace fills my mind and body.
- I breathe in relaxation. I breathe out stress.
- I transcend stress of any kind. I live in peace.