Everybody knows that laughter feels good, but few realize that it can also be used as a powerful form of complementary medicine that can enhance the healing impact of other established modalities.
10 most successful drugs in the USA by sales
Cost: Medium to high.
Side-effects: Numerous, unpleasant.
How laughter can help
Cost: Nil to low.
Side-effects: Laughter is universally well tolerated, but caution is advised in patients with certain concerning health conditions. Read more.
|Abilify, $6.8 billion. Powerful antipsychotic medication. Prescribed for conditions as varied as very mild mood disorders, everyday anxiety, insomnia and even mild emotional discomfort.|
|Nexium, $6.2 billion. Treats heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), stomach ulcers, and a damaged esophagus. May prevent stomach problems caused by pain medicine.|
|Humira, $5.9 billion. Treats arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn disease, or similar problems.|
|Crestor, $5.5 billion. Lowers high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. May reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and blood vessel problems.|
|Advair Diskus, $5.1 billion. Used to prevent asthma attacks. It is also used to prevent flare-ups or worsening of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) associated with chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema.|
|Enbrel, $4.9 billion. Treats rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and plaque psoriasis in adults. Also treats juvenile idiopathic arthritis in children.|
|Remicade, $4.2 billion. Treats rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn disease, plaque psoriasis, and ulcerative colitis.|
|Cymbalta, $4 billion. Treats depression, anxiety, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, fibromyalgia, or chronic muscle or bone pain.|
Laughter alleviates pain, stress.
|Copaxon, $3.6 billion. Used to treat multiple sclerosis (MS) and to prevent relapse of MS.|
|Neulasta, $3.6 billion. Helps your body make white blood cells. This will help prevent infections during cancer treatments (chemotherapy).|
Ask your doctor for a laughter prescription!
We are advocates for a unique form of Laughter Therapy called Laughter Wellness: A complete – and fun! – system of methods that unlocks the many healing benefits of laughter and promotes physical wellness and overall wellbeing throughout people’s lifespan.
Here is an overview of the many benefits of laughter in general and Laughter Wellness in particular:
- Physical health: Laughter Wellness’ innovative approach unlocks laughter’s known ability to strengthen all immune functions, tone the cardiovascular system, exercise the lungs, decrease pain, diffuse stress, release muscle tension and much more. The results are less sick days, health insurance claims, litigations, absenteeism, presenteeism.
- Emotional health: Laughter Wellness’ key emphasis on “choosing to laugh” shifts perspectives, breaks the cycle of negativity and improves one’s mood. It helps to find stressful events less disturbing and easier to deal with. The results are more equanimity, mindfulness; Less stress, anxiety, depression.
- Mental health: Laughter Wellness exercises are designed to stimulate both hemispheres of the brain, encouraging clarity and better problem solving ability. The results are a big boost in positive attitude, more creativity, less inhibitions.
- Social health: Laughter Wellness exercises are designed to connect people, trigger positive feelings and foster an emotional connection, which in turn creates a positive bond with each other. This is team-bonding at its best!
- Spiritual health: Laughter Wellness exercises aim to develop compassion, altruism, joy, and fulfillment. This leads to more trust, self- confidence, peace of mind, better quality of life.
(Where To) Laugh With Others For Free Daily, Weekly, Monthly In Laughter Clubs
Community laughter clubs are loosely defined as fully independent and self-managed local gatherings of people who just want to laugh as a form of exercise, and choose to feel good about themselves and the world they live in with other like-minded individuals. Read more.