Home > Why Laughter > Research
Our Society Is Facing A Major Challenge
We live in a sedentary age where repeated exposure to stress, unhealthy lifestyle, food and damaging habits such as the excessive use of alcohol, cigarettes and drugs, all negatively affect life at home and at work and are exposing people to major lifestyle diseases, including hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. This is happening on a global scale at a very high cost.
- Stress has been called the “Health Epidemic of the 21st Century” by the World Health Organization and is estimated to cost American businesses up to $300 billion a year. 40% of job turnover is due to stress. Healthcare expenditures are nearly 50% greater for workers who report high levels of stress. Insurance data indicates insurance claims for stress related industrial accidents cost nearly twice as much as non-stress related industrial accidents.
- The annual cost of chronic pain in the USA is estimated to be $560-635 billion, including healthcare expenses and lost productivity.
- Depression is a major cause of disability, absenteeism, presenteeism (act of attending work while sick), and productivity loss among working-age adults. The estimated cost of depression in the USA is $5,415 per treated employee, per year.
- The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 7 out of 10 deaths among Americans each year are from chronic diseases. Heart disease, cancer and stroke account for more than 50% of all deaths each year.
- Research suggests that lack of exercise causes as many as 1 in 10 premature deaths around the world each year — roughly as many as smoking.
Here is how the negative health effects of stress affect businesses:
Laughter Is Part Of The Solution
Everybody knows laughter feels good, but few realize it has a long documented list of positive, quantifiable physiological and psychological benefits that can be easily harnessed without the use of humor or comedy.
Decades of extensive research on laughter have taught us much about its many health benefits and explain in depth why it is good for us.
Laughter is now recognized as a legitimate form of preventive (lifestyle) medicine, and a complementary option to other established therapeutic strategies.
It has been recognized as a powerful tool in chronic care and is finding growing acceptance in aged care, critical care, general patient care, home care, hospice care, oncology, palliative care, psychiatry, rehabilitation, rheumatology and terminal care. It is regarded as the most easily accessible analgesic for pain and depression.
A Revolutionary Approach
Laughter Wellness is a complete, thoroughly documented methodology for wellbeing through laughter that shows how this simple tool which we all have access to can be used as a valid, reliable and sustainable wellbeing solution throughout people’s lifespans, with no humor or comedy.
We have systematized laughter into an exercise modality that is easy to learn and implement (no particular space, equipment or form of clothing are required), is sustainable, reliable, low-impact, universally well tolerated and inclusive in nature.This is not a personal opinion. Here is the data to substantiate this claim:
Note: Involuntary laughter (i.e., humor) has been the most studied aspect of laughter to date, although we speculate that as scientists and researchers discover how versatile and easy it is to use voluntary simulated laughter with Laughter Wellness, they will also realize that it is not as reflexive nor highly variable, and that it allows them to work with a broader population and, therefore, unearth results of a higher quantity and quality.
Laughter is a powerful tool and it is built into the human machine. Use it or ignore it. It will always be there, patiently waiting.
Laughter Wellness is an important part of the solution in a world struggling with the negative health effects of unhealthy lifestyles, food and other damaging habits. We have systematized laughter with no humor or comedy into an exercise modality that is easy to learn and implement (no particular space, equipment or form of clothing are required), is sustainable, reliable, low-impact, universally well tolerated and inclusive in nature. Our programs help people become healthier in body, mind and spirit AND facilitate a readiness for change by creating an inner pool of attraction for a happier and healthier way of living. Regardless of the challenges that you will face after our programs, you will always remember (because we practiced it together) that you can feel good at will anytime, anywhere. There is always hope.
Our goal in our online trainings is not to persuade you of anything, but rather to make you conscious of what is available to you. As Zig Ziglar once said, “No man is clever enough to remember everything he knows.” There is always value in being reminded of what’s important.