Home>Ways To More Laughter>How to Practice Ho’oponopono in Four Simple Steps

How to Practice Ho’oponopono in Four Simple Steps

Have you heard of the Hawaiian therapist who cured an entire ward of criminally insane patients, without ever meeting any of them or spending a moment in the same room? It’s not a joke. The therapist was Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len. He reviewed each of the patients’ files, and then he healed them by healing himself. The amazing results seem like a miracle, but then miracles do happen when you use Ho’oponopono, or Dr. Len’s updated version called Self I-Dentity Through Ho’oponopono (SITH). I had the pleasure of attending one of his lectures a few years ago and started practicing Ho’oponopono immediately. The results are often astounding. Do you need a miracle?

What you might wish to understand is how this can possibly work. How can you heal yourself and have it heal others? How can you even heal yourself?

Why would it affect anything “out there”? The secret is there is no such thing as “out there” – everything happens to you in your mind. Everything you see, everything you hear, every person you meet, you experience in your mind. You only think it’s “out there” and you think that absolves you of responsibility. In fact it’s quite the opposite: you are responsible for everything you think, and everything that comes to your attention. If you watch the news, everything you hear on the news is your responsibility. That sounds harsh, but it means that you are also able to clear it, clean it, and through forgiveness change it.

There are four simple steps to this method, and the order is not that important. Repentance, Forgiveness, Gratitude and Love are the only forces at work – but these forces have amazing power.

The best part of the updated version of Ho’oponopono is you can do it yourself, you don’t need anyone else to be there, you don’t need anyone to hear you. You can “say” the words in your head. The power is in the feeling and in the willingness of the Universe to forgive and love.

Step 1: Repentance – I’M SORRY

As I mention above, you are responsible for everything in your mind, even if it seems to be “out there.” Once you realize that, it’s very natural to feel sorry. I know I sure do. If I hear of a tornado, I am so full of remorse that something in my consciousness has created that idea. I’m so very sorry that someone I know has a broken bone that I realize I have caused.

This realization can be painful, and you will likely resist accepting responsibility for the “out there” kind of problems until you start to practice this method on your more obvious “in here” problems and see results.

So choose something that you already know you’ve caused for yourself? Over-weight? Addicted to nicotine, alcohol or some other substance? Do you have anger issues? Health problems? Start there and say you’re sorry. That’s the whole step: I’M SORRY. Although I think it is more powerful if you say it more clearly: “I realize that I am responsible for the (issue) in my life and I feel terrible remorse that something in my consciousness has caused this.”

Step 2: Ask Forgiveness – PLEASE FORGIVE ME

Don’t worry about who you’re asking. Just ask! PLEASE FORGIVE ME. Say it over and over. Mean it. Remember your remorse from step 1 as you ask to be forgiven.

Step 3: Gratitude – THANK YOU

Say “THANK YOU” – again it doesn’t really matter who or what you’re thanking. Thank your body for all it does for you. Thank yourself for being the best you can be. Thank God. Thank the Universe. Thank whatever it was that just forgave you. Just keep saying THANK YOU.

Step 4: Love – I LOVE YOU

This can also be step 1. Say I LOVE YOU. Say it to your body, say it to God. Say I LOVE YOU to the air you breathe, to the house that shelters you. Say I LOVE YOU to your challenges. Say it over and over. Mean it. Feel it. There is nothing as powerful as Love.

That’s it. The whole practice in a nutshell. Simple and amazingly effective.

See the face you love light up with Laughter WellnessGentle Solo Laughter Wellness Workout

More Ho’oponopono Resources To Deepen Your Understanding, And Tools To Put It Into Practice In Your Daily Life

This article includes valuable extra resources but you first need to register to the LOU Library to access them. Doing so is free and you can unsubscribe at any time.

(Refresh this page when you come back after signing up to display all of its content.)

2017-05-18T18:22:36+00:00 Ways To More Laughter|

About the Author:

60 Comments

1. renu verma March 23, 2015 at 7:11 am - Reply

I myself has tried this method and it really works wonderfully.Thanks and would love to learn more and more.

2. rik May 23, 2015 at 7:51 am - Reply

I have tried it, it works but for some reason I keep doubting it, it works everytime very nicely, I almost got inbelievable results multiple times, this is my hnest review

3. Kathy June 17, 2015 at 10:35 am - Reply

I am so happy to have stumbled across this wonderful method of clearing and cleansing my mind, body and soul. I love you, please forgive me, I am sorry, thank you……………………………

4. Mary August 3, 2015 at 2:27 pm - Reply

I am sorry, I forgive myself and I love myself. I will get better each and every day and only think and say positive things. I love you spirit and I love the world. I am successful in life and happy to be alive!!!

5. Elisa August 17, 2015 at 9:53 am - Reply

the chronic “I am sorry statement” is quiet useless coming from a lots of people who are incapable of feeling remorse..

This formula could also be a form of escapism from seeing and addressing what you need to work on yourself. It seems lsimilar to the prescription Of “Positive Thinking”

• kamatchinathan October 25, 2015 at 8:41 pm - Reply

this is is not a positive thinking ,hooponopno transform nagativity using acceptance

• mahendra Kumar February 22, 2017 at 8:16 pm - Reply

I’m sorry my friend for your wrong notion. There is nothing negative about acceptance because acceptance is the basis for transformation. To understand this philosophy more, you have to dig deeper and experience the transformation.
        I’m sorry
        Please forgive me
        I love you
        I thank you

• Morag Macdonald July 7, 2017 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Beautifully said Mahendra….namaste

6. Naser Khan August 30, 2015 at 8:09 pm - Reply

It is pity for me not getting the book here in Bangladesh. Should any body help sending a secondhand copy for my study?
    Bests,

Naser

khan1972bd(at)yahoo.com

• Sebastien Gendry September 3, 2015 at 9:42 am - Reply

I am not sure which books you are referring to regarding Ho’oponopono since we don’t sell any, but regarding our own laughter material the ebooks we sell will reach you within seconds after you complete your purchase. This is the beauty of electronic products. Note that we also have tons of free material as well. Click on the link “Knowledge center” in the top menu.

• Shaunita February 11, 2017 at 5:31 am - Reply

Joe Vitale has a book called “Zero Limits” that discusses
      Ho’oponopono and like others stated there’s information on the internet and YouTube about it.

7. Love November 11, 2015 at 10:51 am - Reply

Divine Intelligence I’m sorry, Please forgive me, thank you… I love you

8. Serendipity November 30, 2015 at 10:02 am - Reply

Actually Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len distorted the true essence of the traditional Ho’oponopono inserting the guilt in the practice. Ho’opnopono is not about sins or darkness, is about your greatness your light.
    I greatly advise to watch this documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmfx8m6Jis4

• Jen Sipe June 19, 2017 at 5:59 am - Reply

I agree, the guilt aspect does not resonate with me – that is resistance. Everything is happening exactly as it should for everyone’s higher good. Accept things, even your own mistakes, become aware of how you have contributed to things, I agree we are responsible for everything in our reality – but lovingly let them go, feed it with love/ a higher vibration understanding. Perhaps the love aspect of the practice is enough to transmute the situation.

9. veena paulson March 21, 2016 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Ho opono pono teaches us that We have been mistaken in who or what we think we are. We can only be hurt by our thoughts. We say i am sorry, please forgive me, I love you and thank you to the forgotten child in us, who has been abused and burdened by our wrong thinking and mistaken Identity.

We don’t have to believe or feel any of it, for it to work. Only willingness to say the phrases. Zero point is where we dance with all of us, in celebration. No guilt, only empowerment and miracles.

• Calvin york May 9, 2017 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Veena paulson…yes!!!! Thank you!!! When i read your statement it made me have an epiphany of sorts!! Thats exactly who we all have been killing inside of us for many years, especially as we all grow up and enter the work force. Our inner child that has been long forgotten and slowly killed off day by day, by our compliance mentally and physicaly with society and its norms and expectations of how we must think and feel. We do very much owe the forgotten child inside of us an apology for all the pain it has suffered. I know the inner child in me woke up when i read your statement and i sort of was like finally!! That was long over due!!! and i never even realized it!! I Think we all have at some point been hurt when we were children emotionally and were probably told to be strong and move past it, dont let it get you down, but we never fully apologized to those we hurt and we never healed from the pain inflicted upon us by others. We all have our own hurt child inside of us who needs to here the ho oponopono

10. krishna masanagi May 14, 2016 at 8:03 pm - Reply

May I practice hoponopo theory in the name of god ??

• Sebastien Gendry November 1, 2016 at 11:15 am - Reply

Whatever works for you works for you, and understand that you are doing this for yourself in your own name.

11. chris July 16, 2016 at 9:33 pm - Reply

i work in a very difficult industry – oil and gas! there are nationalities from all over the world and sometimes the language barriers lead to huge arguments and this leads to a lot of unpleasantness. using the ho’oponopono “i’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, i love you” has helped me diffuse some potentially serious situations. i get to be calm and also manage to calm the person who i am have an altercation or issue with. thank you for this.

12. Lana Jacobs December 30, 2016 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Well said!!

13. Jay January 9, 2017 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I’ve used this method today to a loved one. I’ve been upset with her for doing something wrong by me. And haven’t gotten an apology for it. So I said
    Sorry I forgive u thank you I love you. Not sure if it works the same to say it to someone else but I felt better for saying it.

14. Eduardo January 21, 2017 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Is there any real evidence that Dr Len cured the inmates at the prison or is this some sort of legend? Where exactly did this take place?

• Sebastien Gendry January 24, 2017 at 10:07 am - Reply

In all truth, I don’t know but am not sure it’s that important anyway. True or not, if it inspires you to try this technique out then it’s a good thing.

• Muteib July 6, 2017 at 3:20 am - Reply

The only source of this story is only Dr Len himself self. I didn’t find any testimonies from who worked there, Sp I am skeptical of this story, However, I encourage any one to use the technique disregarding whether the story is true or not..

15. Marian Long January 23, 2017 at 11:06 am - Reply

I’ve been doing this forgiveness technique for several months and I must say it solves my problems. It works every time. Now I am using it on Trump!

• Shaunita February 11, 2017 at 5:26 am - Reply

Hilarious!

16. Jones March 1, 2017 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Yes, one experiences “out there” only in their mind. This doesn´t mean “out there” wouldn´t exist and be separate from the one experiencing it. I wouldn´t recommend taking all the bad you hear happening in the world on your conscience. There is no reason for it.

Or was this article some joke I didn´t get?

17. Jones March 1, 2017 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Also, not everything that comes to your attention is your responsibility. For example, your neighbour turns music volume to max and you clearly hear it in your apartment. How can you be responsible for that? The neighbour made the decision, not you.

18. johanna weiss March 8, 2017 at 12:04 am - Reply

I think if the neighbours noise is a disturbance, then we take responsibility for their inconsiderateness by saying this prayer, its a way of forgiving ourselves too for all the times we have been inconsiderate… that’s my understanding of this practice

19. Clare March 14, 2017 at 9:21 pm - Reply

i have been doing the 4 step say it over and over again in my mind for a week, my neck and head pain, not sure it is a re-action on the practice or coincidence just a normal sick.

20. susan March 24, 2017 at 1:40 pm - Reply

my wonderful service dog is dying. is there some way i can slow down her cancer using this method?

• Sebastien Gendry March 25, 2017 at 4:26 am - Reply

Hello Susan. The only thing you can change is yourself and your perception of what is happening around you. Nothing is inherently good or bad. It just is what it is. What this method can help you achieve is compassion and inner peace.

21. Joe March 28, 2017 at 1:41 pm - Reply

I’m a pretty rational person but I’ve heard about this method and decided to try it. It worked for me in different situations: in business, in relationships and a health issue of someone that I know. My rational mind doesn’t like the fact that I can’t explain why it works but I still believe that it does and would recommend to others to try and see for themselves.

• Sebastien Gendry March 29, 2017 at 8:16 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing. The rational as I see it is simple: it’s not about changing the world, but our perspective about the world.

• Logan April 11, 2017 at 2:14 pm - Reply

I understand I change my perspective about the world, the question is how changing my perspective can change the world? With out interacting with it?

• Sebastien Gendry April 14, 2017 at 1:59 pm - Reply

“The world” only exist to the degree that you believe it does. What we experience as “the world” is inherently only a series of nerve impulses, and these mean nothing. What is, is simply what is. When your perspective changes your reality changes simply because your experience of it is now different. “It” of course did not change. “It” was “it” before and still will be “it” afterwards.

• Johanna June 20, 2017 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Good! The rational part of my brains don’t understand, why wouldn’t someone try this method? It is simple and costs nothing! I have not tried yet (I learned about it today) but I definetelly will – today! And I want to do it for my daughter!

22. John Ward March 29, 2017 at 2:53 pm - Reply

I have been using Ho’oponopono for about a week now. It’s seems like a lot of things are going wrong since I started, and I encounter a lot of negative emotions, mine included. Is this a natural occurrence when first using this method? Am I bring all this “trash” to the surface? Will it get better with time?

• Sebastien Gendry March 30, 2017 at 7:31 am - Reply

It is very normal to first see the shadow before you see the light when you start to look beyond, within. Keep the course.

23. ARTURO FLORES April 4, 2017 at 10:00 am - Reply

LO SIENTO, PERDÓNAME, GRACIAS, TE AMO.

He escrito aquí como testimonio de que SI FUNCIONA. LO SINTO, PERDONAME, GRACIAS, TE AMO.

ARTURO. F.T. * MEXICO *

24. Selda lane April 12, 2017 at 11:31 am - Reply

Hi, I have been using this method for about few days and it clears my head and I can go to sleep easy. When I am up and functional, I found my self very angry with few people in my life who hurt me to my core. I was just wondering if this is the site effects of the techniques since I am new to it.

• Sebastien Gendry April 14, 2017 at 2:10 pm - Reply

What you are experiencing is normal. It’s a defense mechanism from a part of you that doesn’t want to change. It may not be easy to hear, but the source of the anger you feel is not outside but inside of you. Others are merely there to help you see it. Look at it, accept it and feel it fully but without adding a narrative (i.e., don’t add “I am feeling like this because…”). Darkness has not identity of its own. Bring it to the light and it will automatically disappear. Remember: Infinite patience produces immediate results.

• David April 28, 2017 at 4:53 am - Reply

This is the wisest advice I have ever heard anywhere.

• Nick G May 30, 2017 at 7:34 am - Reply

Thank you Sebastian, I loved the way you simplified everything with your simple but full of wisdom statement “Darkness has no identity itself, bring it to light and it will automatically disappear”.
        I only learnt about the Ho’oponopono technic today and was able to get to this website to get some information. If there are certain ways, I have perform and/or if there are any particular processes that I have to follow, kindly let me know.Also, How many times I should practice this and if there are certain time that this would work best? Any advise is appreciated and many thanks in advance to all..

• Sebastien Gendry June 17, 2017 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Thank you for your kind words. There are no “should” in this world, but only what you choose to experience. About your question: It is impossible to give a general answer to what will always be very specific situations. Practice as much or as little as you feel is good for you. Personally I’d say the more, the better.

25. Joaquin April 22, 2017 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Can this method help healing broken relationships?

• Sebastien Gendry May 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Ho’oponopono is not intended to change the world, but your perception of the world. A broken relationship is only broken as long as you want to believe it is broken. If you hate me but all I feel is love and respect for you then where is the broken relationship on my end? Don’t try to change or fix the dream. Do you best to awaken from it. Ho’oponopono is a tool for that.

• Joaquin May 23, 2017 at 6:02 am - Reply

Thanks Sebastien, that makes good sense

26. David April 28, 2017 at 4:51 am - Reply

This is the most powerful AND easiest improvement method in the world. Once everyone has heard of it, everything will be in place that it takes to save humanity and our beautiful planet, and lead us to literally live in a paradise again. Thanks for writing it up beautifully on LOU.

27. Isil Ersu April 28, 2017 at 10:49 am - Reply

I started using this method on my 8 year old who is diagnosed type 1 diabetes 25 days ago. I hope and want it to work. Do you have any experience of method which I can use?

• Sebastien Gendry May 8, 2017 at 8:33 pm - Reply

We are not in a position to give general advice to what will always be a very specific situation. Please consult local healing professionals.

28. Jane P Lee May 18, 2017 at 1:06 pm - Reply

How were you trained in the practice, and by who? How many years as a kako`o have you practiced under a Ho`ola.

29. Jane P Lee May 18, 2017 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Who are these local practioners?

30. Nicky May 30, 2017 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Sebastian, can I assume that since the world ‘out there’ only exists in my mind and is a reflection of my consciousness then by doing this practice and healing myself through it, that my ‘world’ will change because I have changed?

• Sebastien Gendry June 17, 2017 at 1:49 pm - Reply

To change anything in the physical world something needs to happen on this plane. Thinking is not enough. You need to “do” something. I encourage you to try the rice experiment. Cook some rice, then split what you have cooked and put into 2 different closed glass jars. For 30 days spend a few minutes every day talking to jar #1 and tell it how beautiful it is and how much you appreciate it. Then spend a few more minutes talking to jar #2 and tell it how awful, ugly, useless it is. This will show you the impact of mere words and the energy within them.

31. Edward June 17, 2017 at 11:18 am - Reply

I knew nothing of this prayer before yesterday. Last year I feel asleep on my couch. I was suddenly awaken by our oldest daughter knocking on her bedroom door.(she has special needs) My wife asked me to open her door for her. When I went to go sit back down I began struggling to breathe and then stopped breathing. During this brief moment I experienced many things that I can’t clearly put into words, but ultimately I found myself in darkness. A type of darkness I had never experienced before and I could feel it on my skin like a blanket. After accepting the fact that this was the end of my life. I would never see my wife, my children, my mother or anyone else broke my heart. Even worse all the worries that were on my mind for the next day no seen completely stupid. Then voices, many many voices began speaking at once like a river of water. I heard my voice then the thoughts and feelings others had because of my words. I was so ashamed at how i harmed others with my words. I began responding to these voices with, I am so sorry, I never knew you felt that way, Please forgive me ,Thank you, I Love you. I repeated this it seemed like an eternity and a Love & peace came over me that I could never do justice in description. There is when I started see billions of those little specs of light that show up after being hit in the face. Well the pilled away like a curtain. I saw two men I didn’t notice and then I saw my wife’s face and realized I was back in my body, standing up on my feet . I immediately began crying and thanking God cause He let me come back.
    Yesterday while attending orientation at the CaseyRailey school of massage therapy, we were given a tour of the library. Following the tour I asked the librarian about the edgar casey readings and shared apart of my experience with her. When she heard the words I am sorry, Please forgive me ,Thank You, please forgive me. She stoped me and said do you know what you just said. Of course I didnt have a clue. She dismissed the other students and took me behind the library desk to a little frail Jewish lady. She asked me to share with the lady and then showed me my words written on this ladies desk verbatim. They little lady said this is an ancient Hawaiian praye called Ho’oponopono. She tried to take me to the book but it was missing from the library. She sent me to the website.
    I had never heard of this prayer and don’t know why God chose those words to come me or why they chose me right then, but I know for a fact that I wouldn’t be here if He allow those words to come to me so I am sorry for not know and being so closed minded, Please forgive me for my arrogants , boxing God into my primitive perspective, Thank you for forgiving and listening to my testimony and I Love you more then you will ever know today but will certainly know one day.

Your Brother,
    Ed

• Alicia July 13, 2017 at 12:46 pm - Reply

I’m in tears. That is so beautiful. I’m sorry for not seeking truths sooner, please forgive me for not seeing you as a part of me, Thank you for sharing your story with us, I love you!

32. Adriana June 29, 2017 at 7:51 pm - Reply

It does work. I started because i fell in live with someone who was livimg the country and he did not know anf it was in my mind something almost impossible to hapoen, so i was so sad and probably got im some sort of deoression as the only thing i would to was work all day and cry gor the rest of the time. So some blessed soul recommend to me to practice hoponopono it not only healed my “depression” but all the frustratuon i carriwd during my life and in addition to that brought me this person who left thw country…we are in a long distance relatioshio we see each other when is possible, it is the beat and healthier relatioahio i could ever ask for… it has been more than one year and a half. I am ready to start it again because i am sure thw Universe will bring us togethwr on the rifhr time. I became a much better person aftwr hoponopono. I am so grateful for it. I am sorry, forgive me, thank you and I liove you